Eight deputies are assigned, after completing a specialized course, to patrolling eight of the most populated schools in the county, during the school year (September – June). This unit is a community policing initiative whose primary mission is to support school staff in providing a safe and productive learning environment. The SRO acts as a law enforcer, mentor, counselor, and teacher to the student population as well as a resource to the Administration, teachers, and parents.
Their duties include:
- Holding counseling sessions with students, parents, teachers, and administrators
- Presenting classroom lectures and presentations on various law enforcement topics
- Developing information relating to public safety issues that would affect the students or schools and taking appropriate action
- Addressing potential and actual physical confrontations among students
- Detecting and confiscating weapons and narcotics brought onto school property
- Investigating crimes and, if authorized, effecting arrests
- Assisting other public safety agencies such as Fire, EMS, District Attorney, and Courts
- Referring students to school administrators regarding disciplinary issues
- Referring students and their families to social service agencies as appropriate
- Attending special school events such as athletic competitions and dances
- Attending PTA, School Board, and community meetings
- Monitoring student lunch program and bus drop-off and pick-up
Click on the link below to view the report of the Onondaga County School Safety Task Force- A joint initiative between the Offices of the Onondaga County District Attorney, Onondaga County Executive, Onondaga County Sheriff and the City of Syracuse Mayor.
You must be logged in to post a comment.