This unit is responsible for the safekeeping of all agency records. It is comprised of the Records Management Section and the Alarm Enforcement Unit.
Records Management: Duties include the following:
- Reviewing all submitted reports and entering the appropriate data into the CHAIRS system
- Ensuring that all records are filed properly
- Making records available to authorized persons in accordance with established laws and procedures
- Ensuring that all court sealing orders are completed and in compliance
- The Sheriff’s Office maintains records according to the Retention and Disposition Schedule for New York Local Government Records (LGS-1).
- Responsible for Freedom of Information Law Requests to include personal criminal background checks and accident/incident reports
Alarm Enforcement: Duties include the following:
- Handling applications and fees for alarm system permits
- Issuing alarm system permits and O.L.E.I.S. numbers to alarm system subscribers and keeping them on file
- Enforcing and processing false alarm fees
- Maintaining financial records of fees collected
- Investigating false alarm appeals and making a final determination of responsibility
FOIL (Freedom Of Information Law): Records requested under FOIL are made available through the Sheriff’s Records Section. An appeal of denial of access to records may be made through the Onondaga County Attorney, Onondaga County Department of Law, John H. Mulroy Civic Center, 10th floor, 421 Montgomery Street, Syracuse, New York 13202. If there are any questions, the Records Access Officer can be contacted at (315) 435-3010.
You can request a report through the Records Unit by mail or online. (There is a nominal fee for the report.)
NOTE: If a specific case is considered open, you will not be able to obtain any paperwork until the proper authorization is given.
Request by mail: If you are requesting a report by mail, you must include the DR# or Case# along with the fee, include a copy of your valid photo identification (Drivers License or Non-Drivers ID) and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Click below for online Accident Reports