The Aviation Unit has one chief pilot, two pilot/deputies and two flight observer/deputies. The helicopter used is a single-engine Bell 407, also known as “Air 1”. It is equipped with Night Sun (a light source capable of delivering 30 million candlepower), a Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) device, and video downlink/videotaping capabilities.
Air-1 is a multi-mission helicopter capable of performing numerous functions including:
- Night Sun lighting
- FLIR (Forward Looking Infrared) – locating heat sources and videotaping
- Coordinating resources from an elevated platform
- Video downlink/videotaping capabilities
- Search and Rescue:
- Locating and rescuing victims
- Fire Assistance:
- Locating fire/heat sources and transporting personnel/services into difficult areas
Click here to view the members of the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office Aviation Unit conduct a Skid Rescue training exercise
You must be logged in to post a comment.