The mission of this unit is to establish and maintain communication within the community, provide information that will assist the public to protect themselves against criminal acts, and improve the ability of the community to reduce criminal behavior.
Their responsibilities include the coordination and development of programs including, but not limited to, the following:
- Bicycle safety programs
- Children’s fingerprinting SAFE CHILD ID
- Personal safety programs for children and adults
- Senior citizen safety and identification programs to include the Yellow Dot program
- Car seat installations and inspections
- Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office public displays
- Annual Heroes & Helpers Target event. View the 2016 video by clicking here
This unit also serves as the coordinator for the County’s Neighborhood Watch Program, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Working closely with Officers of Neighborhood Watch of CNY Inc.
- Attending neighborhood watch meetings and presenting safety programs and ideas as well as answering questions from the community
- Facilitating the training for new groups
- Maintaining a record of all groups formed within Onondaga County
- Organizing the Onondaga County Sheriff’s Office displays for National Night Out
- Assisting with other community events
- Giving community presentations
This unit is the coordinator for outside presentations by approving presentation requests and arranging for an appropriate Sheriff’s Office member to provide the material requested.